Sunday, April 14, 2019

Pinoy flutist winner

Pinoy flutist bags awards in Denmark's Carl Nielsen

Sandra Sotelo Aboy, ABS-CBN News
Apr 09 2019 

A Filipino flutist bagged awards at the prestigious Carl Nielsen International Competition held in Odense, Denmark.
Rafael Adobas, 21, won third place in the flute division and best interpretation of a new piece.
"It has been like a roller-coaster mix of emotions. I had only 2 months of preparation after receiving the invitation from the committee. Every performance was a different scenario and with different repertoire - from baroque music, classical, romantic, and contemporary," he told ABS-CBN News.
"I had to learn to be flexible each day of every round. I had to acquire a general overview on everything, and yet be totally focused on every piece that I was playing. I had to be sure of what I wanted to express through my music on the moment of my performance."
Rafael, who was born in Ibiza, Spain, took his passion for music after his father.
His father Margarito, who hails from Southern Leyte, used to be a guitarist.
Music is life for the Adobas family. Rafael’s eldest sister Isabel plays the piano while his younger sisters Mary Grace and Mary Jane plays the violin and saxophone, respectively.
Rafael is currently studying fourth year of Music Performance-Flute at the University of Music and Performing Arts Munich in Germany. 
Out of the almost 500 applications received by Carl Nielsen contest, only 66 young musicians were invited to perform.
In the first round, Rafael won the the best interpretation prize for his passionate delivery of the commissioned piece written for the competition by Austrian composer Thomas Larcher. He took home €2,000.
Rafael played "Life" in the second round, drawing inspiration from the works of Carl Nielsen. His piece is an expression of life from birth to maturity in the company of family, friends, and church.
In the semifinal round, Rafael, together with Odense Symphony Orchestra, played flute concerto in E minor by Franz Benda.
For the finale, Rafael was accompanied by the Copenhagen Philharmonic Orchestra as he played 2 movements from Mozart concerto and Carl Nielsen flute concerto. He won 3rd place and €8,000 cash.
“I dedicate this victory, firstly to my family. They have always been supportive to me from the very first day I held an instrument. And to the church, the Filipino community and everybody who followed and watched me through livestream in this wonderful journey," he said.
"I am proud to be a Filipino."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinoy farmer finalist in International Cocoa Awards

Filipino farmer makes it to the finals of 2019 International Cocoa Awards Antonio Colina Manila Bulletin 18 August 2019 DAVAO CITY ...